Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Arrived

So we have arrived in Hamburg. Actually, a week and two days ago. I could'nt get an internet connection, but here I am now. Our trip here was.. Interesting. For me, Merilyn and Elina this was the first flying experience. And the plane sounded like it's gonna crash and burn every second. But what do you know! We lived. By deathplane we went to Poland. (I left my scarf in the Riga airport and after many calls and letter it appears that it has found a new owner). Then we waited for about and hour and boarder the plane for Hamburg, Germany. This was a much better plane than the last one. But they didn't have ear-plugs(I discovered that I can't stand the air pressure while landing).

At the airport, Sandra came to pick us up. We went to St. Pauli region, to our accomadations. It's called St. Pauli's Lodge and there are four of us in the same room. When we arrived here, it turned out that they only have three beds and one pull-out bed. Kairi and Elina were the first ones to come in to the room so they got the double bed. I was the second, so i got the single bed. Because Merilyn was a bit late, she got the pull-out bed. There is a shared bathroom/toilet and a kitchen on our floor. We shared the kitchen with the people downstairs. They also use the kitchen for smoking. So when someone smokes in the kitchen, our room reeks of smoke. So we have started to stuff the space under the door with towels in the night. 

The next day we went to Arbeit und Leben and met the team there. We also got some communications tips, tourism tips and etc. We also learned that prostitution is legal in Germany and the main part and "business" street is Reeperbahn. We had language animation with Mr. Böker. He was awsome. After some learning we went on a city-tour and he showed us around. 

St. Pauli is some sort of a football center. They have their own team and all. So we have seen a lot fans and fan-goods.We have also been to Altona, which is interesting too. Even though Reeperbahn seems.. Weird, it was really awsome. There where so many sex shops that you could faint. Out of pure curiosity we went in and we almost fainted. So large choice of everything(and i mean EVERYTHING) and everyones so open about it. Back home it's a tabu(very bad). When someone sees you coming out of a shop, by two hours most your mother shall know because your mothers friends uncles sons daughters friend saw you coming out. We have started to call Estonia our little sweet frogpond (konnatiik) because we discovered how small it really is.

Last Thusday we all went to our internships places. Mine is Mobilcom dabei, Merilyn has Addiwan and Kairi & Elina have Globetrotter. Merilyn has the shortest route, Elina & Kairi have the longest. Mine is in the middle. 

By now we have gotten used to the big city buzzing like a hive of bees. Even thought the city is quite filthy and dirty, it's nice. Multicultural, people are friendly and help you when you are lost. Also there is so much to see. It's currently +5 degrees Celsius. When we left Estonia, it was -24 degrees Celsius. So it's a nice change.

Food is mostly cheaper here than back home. But the meat prices are so high that you could as well start being a vegetarian.Clothing prices are quite low here too, comparing to Estonia

We have all made progress in learning German. Also we can make it here with English. Like i said before, people here are friendly. That means that you can stop anyone and ask for help and probably they shall answer and help you. One day I was trying to go somewhere and was standing under a street sign with a map, trying to figure our where the hell am I now. Without asking a young lady stopped and tried to help me. That kind of situation has repeated many times now. Also, I have been stopped to ask for help. Usually in the U-Bahn (subway/metroo), asking where the U2 gate is or is he/she on the right side. The subways are awsome, by the way. They drive underground and on the ground, over the buildings and over the canals. 

That's it for today, I shall write again soon. When I go back home to Estonia, I'll try to upload the videos I made in the U bahn. 

Auf wiedersehen und schönen tag. 

1 comment:

  1. Hei-hei. Sain su postkaardi kätte ja meenus, et lubasin siia ka kommi tuua. Väga lahe postkaart on ja väga-väga huvitav lugemine. Vaata, et sa end Saksamaale ei unusta vms. :)

    ReplyDelete